As you may already be aware, publishing regular blog posts is a great way to ensure your website content is kept fresh both for your target audience, but also for search engines like Google. The Google algorithms change all the time, meaning it’s extremely difficult to keep on top of the latest requirements. However, adding relevant, quality blogs to your site is still rewarded and can be a great way to drive new traffic to your site.
I’ve put together my top 10 tips for writing blog posts which, if done well, should help your site’s natural ranking within search engines continually improve. These points should also help explain why blogs are vital for SEO (search engine optmisation).
- Make sure your blog topics are relevant for your target audience and worded with them in mind. No one searching on Google for a graphic designer expects to find them by reading articles about how much the designer loves cats!
- Post new articles regularly as each time you post a new one (or add any other new content), the search engines will crawl and index your site again, which may help improve your site’s rankings. Once you’ve posted each blog posts it’s important to look at your statistics for them. Has the time of day/day of the week you’ve posted them affected your viewing figures? Are particular subject matters more of interest to your followers? Whatever you discover, it’s important to adapt your approach accordingly.
- Use engaging content that shows your audience that you are an expert in your area.
- Make sure that you use keywords within the text without ‘keyword stuffing’. Think carefully about the search terms your audience are likely to use and try to incorporate one or two of them within your text. Don’t overdo it though as Google penalises sites that overuse their keywords. It also probably won’t make for a very good read! The essential areas where you should always try to include your keywords are: the headline (near the beginning if your post has a long title), URL (one of the first things the search engines will look at), copy headers, body text (whilst writing with a natural flow to the text) and within the meta description (used to give search engines and your readers information about your blog’s content).
- Optimise your blog posts for SEO purposes – this is crucial to ensure that anyone looking for your product or service sees your article coming up in their search results. Platforms like WordPress have free plugins that you can use to help guide you through what’s needed.
- Make sure you consider how your blog (and the rest of your site) will be viewed on a mobile. More people now search from their mobiles than they do on desktops and Google favours website’s that are fully responsive (mobile friendly).
- Use images within your blog posts that help to explain the content further. Make sure you include alt text for these images though as this is another element that Google looks for (it’s the only way the search engines can determine what the image is about as they can’t ‘see’ them). It also helps anyone using site readers to understand your content.
- Add internal links to your blog where possible/relevant as these will help the search engines to validate your content. These links can be to other blog posts or to your web pages. Remember that if you’re adding any external links from your site that these must always open in a new window so that the user can easily get back to your site. Be careful about what external links you use though as too many links away from your site will just increase your bounce rate.
- Link through to your blog from each of your social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) to help increase traffic to your site. You must also ensure that you enable social sharing on all of your blogs so that your users can share your content easily with their connections.
- Consider using topic clusters for your blogs. If you have a broad topic area that you would like to cover off, write separate blog posts for each different keyword area and then link between your blogs. This will help create a broader search engine authority when your site is indexed.
The above is just the start of what can be considered when writing your blog posts. There is a huge amount more in depth detail than can be gone into, if desired. Don’t be intimidated though, it’s all do’able if you just take a considered approach and apply as many of these tips as you can.
If you’d like to talk about how Stripe Virtual Services can help you with your blog, or any other element of your website or design requirements, then please just get in touch.